William de Curtlyngton
Field: Abbot
Location in the Abbey: Chapel of st benedict

William de Curtlyngton was Abbot of Westminster from 1315-33. He was buried in front of the altar in the chapel of St Benedict in Westminster Abbey, next to Sir John Shorditch, but the brass figure on his gravestone and its inscription have long since disappeared. In 1303 he was one of the many monks briefly imprisoned in the Tower of London after the robbery of the treasury in the Abbey precincts. During his time as abbot he rebuilt the Abbey's manor house at Islip in Oxfordshire in a new location within the village and he had jurisdiction over the hospital of St James in London. He died on 11 September 1333. He had a nephew called John.

© 2017 The Dean and Chapter of Westminster

Website design - Design by Structure