The ashes of Edward Algernon Fitzroy, politician, soldier, dairy farmer and Speaker of the House of Commons are buried in the chancel of St Margaret's Church Westminster. The small stone, from the war damaged House of Commons, reads:
"+Edward Algernon Fitzroy 1869 1943 Speaker of the House of Commons 1928-1943 and Muriel 1869 1962 his wife+"
A stained glass window to him was erected over the south east door of the church, given by his brother in law the Hon.Gilbert Johnstone. It was unveiled by Winston Churchill on 30 July 1946. The artist, Mr Hendrie, and the architect Sir Herbert Baker both died while the window was being made. It displays the coats of arms of Captain Fitzroy together with the Royal Arms and those of the four self-governing Dominions (Australia, New Zealand, Canada and South Africa). The inscription says:
"Edward Algernon Fitzroy P.C. Speaker of the House of Commons 1928-1943" with the Mace between the panels.
He was a son of Charles Fitzroy, 3rd Baron Southampton and his wife Ismamia (a lady of the bedchamber to Queen Victoria). Educated at Eton he was Page of Honour to the Queen 1883-86. He fought and was wounded at Ypres during the Great War. His wife was Muriel Douglas-Pennant, a daughter of Colonel the Hon.Archibald Douglas-Pennant, M.P. and his wife Harriet Gifford. They married on 19 November 1891 and she worked with the Voluntary Aid Detachment (nursing etc.) during the First World War. They had three sons and a daughter (Michael was killed 1915, Robert and John (both in the Navy) and Nancy died unmarried). Edward died of pneumonia at the Speaker's House. Muriel was awarded the title Vicountess Daventry.
A photo of the grave and the window can be purchased from Westminster Abbey Library.
Oxford Dictionary of National Biography 2004