The concept of the Grave of the Unknown Warrior in Westminster Abbey was inspired by the Reverend David Railton M.C. (1884-1955) who was a curate in Folkestone in Kent before becoming a chaplain to the 2nd Battalion of the Hon.Artillery Company on the Western Front during the 1914-18 war. In 1916, in a back garden at Erkingham near Armentières in France, he noticed a grave with a rough cross on which were pencilled the words 'An Unknown British Soldier'. After the war he became vicar of Margate in Kent and in August 1920 he wrote to Herbert Ryle, Dean of Westminster, suggesting a permanent memorial to the fallen of the Great War who had no known grave. King George V and the government, rather reluctantly at first, supported the idea and on 11 November 1920 David Railton saw his dream become reality.
A year later, the Union flag which he had used during the war to drape over his makeshift altars – and over the bodies of soldiers killed in action - was donated to the Abbey. The Padre's Flag, as it is known, now hangs in St George's Chapel close to the Warrior's grave.
Today the Grave of the Unknown Warrior is one of the most famous of the Abbey's memorials. Visiting Heads of State include in their itinerary a wreath laying at the grave.
David was the son of George, a Commissioner in the Salvation Army, and his wife Marianne (Parkyn) and was educated at Oxford and Liverpool. In 1916 he was awarded the Military Cross for saving several men under heavy fire. After serving at Margate he was also vicar of Bolton in Yorkshire, at Shalford in Surrey and St Nicholas in Liverpool. His wife was Ruby (Wilson) and they had a son Andrew and four daughters, one of whom, Ruth, was made a Dame for her work with the National Youth Orchestra. On his way home to Scotland in 1955 he accidentally fell from a moving train and died of his injuries.
See more information and pictures under the entry for the Unknown Warrior on our website.
He wrote his own account in the magazine "Our Empire" in November 1931. A photocopy of this is available from Westminster Abbey Library.