Opposite the west entrance of Westminster Abbey is a tall marble and stone column, erected in 1861 and designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, which remembers former pupils of Westminster School who died in the Crimean War 1854-56 and the Indian Mutiny 1857-58. At the top is a figure of St George slaying the dragon, carved by J.R.Clayton, with statues of St Edward the Confessor, Henry III, Elizabeth I and Queen Victoria, carved by J.Birnie Philip. Four lions flank the base around the following inscriptions:
"To the memory of those educated at Westminster School who died in the Russian and Indian wars A.D.1854-1859 on the field of battle or from wounds or sickness, some in early youth, some full of years and honours but who all alike gave their lives for their country. This column was erected by their old schoolfellows in token of sorrow for their loss and of pride in their valour and in full assurance that the remembrance of their heroism in life and death will inspire their successors at Westminster with the same courage and self- devotion"
"Field Marshal Lord Raglan G.C.B. Commander in Chief 1854-1855.
Lieutenant General Frederick Markham, C.B. 2nd division
Russian War 1854-1856"
Captain Augustus Frederick Kynaston, R.N., C.B.
Major Augustus Saltren Willett, 17th Lancers
Captain Frederick Henry Dymock, 95th Regiment
Lieutenant Reginald Hugh Somerville, 23rd Fusiliers
Lieutenant William Walker Jordan, 34th Regiment
Lieutenant Richard Borough, Rifle Brigade
Midshipman Charles Madan, HMS Sanspareil
Frederick Henty, Commissariat Department
Russian War 1854-1856"
General Sir William Barnard, G.C.B. Commander in Chief 1857
Major John Waterfield, 38th Bengal Native Infantry
Major Walter Robert Prout, 56th Bengal Native Infantry
Captain Wilson Henry Jones, H.M 13th Light Infantry
Captain Louis Henry Bedford, H.M. 37th Regiment
Captain William Thornton Phillimore, 10th Bengal Native Infantry
Lieutenant Henry Bingham, H.M. 90th Regiment
Lieutenant Lovick Emilius Cooper, H.M. Rifle Brigade
Cornet William George Hawtrey Bankes, H.M. 7th Hussars, V.C.
Indian War 1857-1858"
A photo of the column can be purchased from Westminster Abbey Library.
Before their destruction during the 1939-45 war there were memorial stained glass windows to Barnard, Cooper and Bankes below the north transept rose window.
A memorial stone with brass letters for members of the Rifle Brigade still remains just inside the north entrance.
"The Record of Old Westminsters", 2 vols, edited by G.F.Russell Barker and A.H.Stenning, 1928.