Winfried Bönig is Organist of Cologne Cathedral and a Professor at the Hochschule für Musik in Cologne. Born in Bamberg, he studied at the Munich Conservatory and the University of Augsburg before taking up the appointment of organist and music director at the Church of St Joseph Memmingen in 1984. In 1995 he was awarded the city's Culture Prize in recognition of his work there.
In 2001 he took up his present appointment at Cologne Cathedral, where he is also responsible for the cathedral's prestigious series of summer concerts. His concert career takes him all over the world, most recently to China, Russia and Spain. He has premiered many organ works dedicated to him by composes such as Enjott Schneider, Jean Guillou, and Colin Mawby, and his extensive discography includes works by Dietrich Buxtehude and a transcription of Bach's Goldberg Variations.
Johann Caspar Kerll – Batalla
Johann Sebastian Bach – Passacaglia BWV 582
Max Reger – Three pieces from Op 69
Franz Schmidt – Chaconne in C sharp minor
Entry is through the Great West Door from 6.30 pm.
Concerts last approximately 70 minutes with no interval.
All seats are unreserved.
Single tickets £12.00 (concessions £8.00)
Season tickets £48.00 (concessions £32.00)
Online: St John's Smith Square
Telephone: 020 7222 1061 (Mon–Sat, 10.00 am–5.00 pm)
In person: The Box Office, St John's, Smith Square, London SW1P 3HA
Booking fees apply: £1.50 online and £2.00 by telephone
Concessions apply to children, full-time students, disabled and senior citizens, and members of the Royal College of Organists (on presentation of membership card).
Tickets cannot be exchanged or refunded.
Special offer for Abbey visitors and Association members: 25% off with a visitor admission ticket or membership card.
Terms & Conditions
- 25% discount on Summer Organ Festival tickets when presenting a valid Westminster Abbey visitor admission ticket or Association membership card
- Discount available on all ticket types:
- Single ticket: £12 (£9 after discount)
- Concession: £8 (£6 after discount)
- Season ticket: £48 (£36 after discount)
- Concession season ticket: £32 (£24 after discount)
- Up to two tickets at the discounted price are available with every valid Abbey ticket or membership card.
- Tickets are available from Westminster Abbey Shop, the Box Office, St John's Smith Square (personal callers only), and on the door.
- Abbey admission tickets must be dated between 9th July and 9th August inclusive, and must be surrendered at time of booking.
- This promotion is not valid for use in conjunction with any other offer or discount, and cannot be booked online or by phone.
- The promotion begins on 9th July and ends on 9th August 2016.